The Official RONR Q & A Forums

2/3 Majority & President

Creditkid

Hello,

I am a longtime lurker. This place has been a wonderful reference for my various questions with RR as a new Student Body President.

I oversee a student assembly that will be reviewing some constitutional amendments that require 2/3 majority of voting members present. As the President (chair) I typically do not vote, but I am a voting member. When votes occur for bills/motions my presence isn't counted in the final tally, I am not even considered abstaining. So if I decide to vote for one of the amendments to help reach our 2/3 majority would I move the threshold?

We have 27 voting members, 28 when I am included. If I enter into the vote do I change the threshold from 18 (for 2/3 majority) to 19, or does the original 18 hold true? If there are 17 yeses would the addition of my vote pass the amendment :ph34r: ?

Unfortunately, we will have another student standing in for our parliamentarian/secretary, because she will be on vacation (Fall Break). He is not well versed in RR (it wasn't my decision to choose him) so I would like to review this matter with him before the meeting.

Thank you so much for your help!

Unless the assembly is following small board/assembly rules, according to RONR, the member presiding at the time the vote is taken maintains their appearance of impartiality by not voting; except if the vote is taken by ballot, or the their vote could affect the outcome. This includes circumstances when a two-thirds vote is required.

So yes, in the circumstance you've described, the presider is permitted to vote. My suggestion is you review page fifty of RONR to help you know how to go about announcing the vote.

Is the two-thirds vote based on  the number of members present, or the number members present and voting? Unless your bylaws specify by the  members present, the two-thirds vote should be based on those present and voting. Those present and voting means twice as many in favor.

Thank you  for your help. Directly from our Constitution:

By a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting if the proposed amendment has been read at the previous meeting.

Unfortunately for my amendments, yes. See above. <_<

No, it says "present and voting," which is recommended. So we're good.

We have 27 voting members, 28 when I am included. If I enter into the vote do I change the threshold from 18 (for 2/3 majority) to 19, or does the original 18 hold true? If there are 17 yeses would the addition of my vote pass the amendment :ph34r: ?

Your voting requirement, as we've now clarified, is 2/3 of the members present and voting. You would vote only if your vote would affect the result, and yes, your vote would change the threshold. The threshold is only 18 if all members are present and they all vote. If some members abstain (or are absent), that would change things.

So we can't tell for sure what the situation would be if there were 17 yes votes without knowing how many no votes there are. If the original vote is 17-10, your vote would not change the result. If the original vote is 17-9, then it would (if you intend to vote in the affirmative).

The quckest way to determine if there is a 2/3 vote of the members present and voting is whether the number of votes in the affirmative is at least twice the number of votes in the negative.

According to the quote you posted, the vote required is 2/3 of members present and voting. That makes a big difference. With that langauge (which actually is the usual rquirements), it doesn't matter how many are present (as long as there is a quorum), only how many vote. Abstentions don't count.

Archived