The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Amending Proposed Constitutional Amendment

ayabarreno

Convention is held once every 3 years.  Constitution requires amendments to be submitted to the executive board 45 days prior to the beginning of the state convention and to the delegates within 30 days prior to the beginning of the convention.  It also provides that amendments shall be adopted by 2/3 vote of the total delegates.  Once at the convention, when the amendment is brought up, can there be a motion to amend the Constitutional amendment?

As a follow-up, I told you that the Constiution requires a 2/3 vote for any amendment to the Constitution to pass.  We have already received a proposed amendment to the Consitution, so I know that it will require a 2/3 vote to pass.  However, if at the actual Convention, there is an amendment made to the proposed Constitutional amendment (main motion), does the amendment to the main motion need a majority vote or a 2/3 vote?

As a follow-up, I told you that the Constiution requires a 2/3 vote for any amendment to the Constitution to pass.  We have already received a proposed amendment to the Consitution, so I know that it will require a 2/3 vote to pass.  However, if at the actual Convention, there is an amendment made to the proposed Constitutional amendment (main motion), does the amendment to the main motion need a majority vote or a 2/3 vote?

"Requires a majority vote, regardless of the vote required to adopt the question to be amended."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 133

Archived