The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revising Decisions made by the body

Guest Catherine Chambers

Guest Catherine Chambers

Can a decision made by the body be revisited at another meeting. However, isn't the board required to follow the decision made by the body first and then revisit at the next meeting. I contend that the officers must carry out the decision first and not hold out until the next meeting by trying to change what has been decided.

Can a decision made by the body be revisited at another meeting. However, isn't the board required to follow the decision made by the body first and then revisit at the next meeting. I contend that the officers must carry out the decision first and not hold out until the next meeting by trying to change what has been decided.

Except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the board must carry out the decision made by the membership unless the membership decides to rescind or amend that decision (if it's still possible to do so).  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 305ff and p. 483

Guest Catherine Chambers

Except in matters placed by the bylaws exclusively under the control of the board, the board must carry out the decision made by the membership unless the membership decides to rescind or amend that decision (if it's still possible to do so).  See RONR (11th ed.), p. 305ff and p. 483Tha

Thank you George, what I am trying to determine is whether the officers can choose to not carry out the decision of the membership because they are waiting for the next meeting which is a month away. In my case a decision was made in September regarding a plan for use of funds that the treasurer did not agree with and was not carried out and will be brought back to the body for amending the decision.

Thank you George, what I am trying to determine is whether the officers can choose to not carry out the decision of the membership because they are waiting for the next meeting which is a month away. In my case a decision was made in September regarding a plan for use of funds that the treasurer did not agree with and was not carried out and will be brought back to the body for amending the decision.

If the officers do not carry out the wishes of the membership then they may find themselves the subject of disciplinary procedures rather than an amended decision.  That will be up to the membership. 

Archived