The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Procedural question on amending bylaws

Guest Guest

Parliamentarians,

You were so helpful yesterday that perhaps you can help me with one other issue...

The board of directors of our nonprofit has just finished revamping the bylaws, in accordance with the procedures outlined in the bylaws.  There is one provision in it that is offensive to a small constituency of our membership (30 out of 3,000).  The bylaws will be put before the membership for approval at the annual meeting in January.

Copies have been distributed to all members. There is a move afoot to try to modify the bylaws before they are put before the membership at the annual meeting.  We have very low turnout at the regular membership meetings, and the thought is that a dozen will show up and make a motion to modify the bylaws.

So here's the question: Can a group of members vote to modify the revised bylaws authored by the board before they are introduced at the annual meeting?

yes it's Machivellian. we deal with a lot of this kind of stuff......

many thanks

Sorry,

I'm the fellow who posted the day before under "Malabar." I obviously did not fill out the appropriate field in the post.  You folks responded to a question about whether it is legal for a bodyd to pass a motion to take a particular action over the course of several years.

And what are "heniles?"

"So here's the question: Can a group of members vote to modify the revised bylaws authored by the board before they are introduced at the annual meeting?"

No group of members can modify the revised bylaws authored by the board before they are introduced at the annual meeting unless the group of members referred to is the board itself, and it may do so effectively only if notice requirements are complied with.

I suspect that this may not have been the question you really meant to ask, and if not, you might want to try again. :)

"So here's the question: Can a group of members vote to modify the revised bylaws authored by the board before they are introduced at the annual meeting?"

No group of members can modify the revised bylaws authored by the board before they are introduced at the annual meeting unless the group of members referred to is the board itself, and it may do so effectively only if notice requirements are complied with.

I suspect that this may not have been the question you really meant to ask, and if not, you might want to try again. :)

That is exactly the question.

many thanks

tk

Archived