The Official RONR Q & A Forums

advising a member on a draft change to the bylaws

Guest a new Parliamentarian

Guest a new Parliamentarian

As Parliamentarian, I've been asked by a member to help him draft a proposed bylaw that would allow absentee voting on any matter deemed substantive by a 2/3 vote of those attending a meeting.

I'd already made it known to the members at large that I would regard such a change in bylaws as pernicious, poisonous to the notion of the group as a deliberative assembly and a disincentive for members to attend meetings to perfect a motion or document.

What is my responsibility in this case?  l

Is your position as Parliamentarian defined in the bylaws?  If so, are your duties (to the membership) laid out there?  Are you financially compensated for your expertise?

RONR doesn't address your question specifically, but since you're asking, I think your responsibility is to explain to this member (as you have done here) all the reasons why you aren't going to assist in drafting this inadvisable bylaw amendment.  But stay tuned.....

That would make for an interesting question (Advanced Discussion maybe?).  If a parliamentarian was hired by a single member (or group of members) I would think his or her duty would be to give them the best advice possible but ultimately do what he or she is told to do (or resign and possibly return some monies for not completing the job).  However, if the parliamentarian was hired by the organization to what level would his or her duty to the organization and Membership itself allow him or her to tell a member or group of members "Helping you draft that amendment as you want it would run counter to my overriding duty to provide the organization with the most sound parliamentary advice.  Because of this, you will be on your own"? 

No compensation.  Our bylaws say:

The Dean of the Faculty shall preside at meetings of the Faculty. The Dean may appoint a Parliamentarian to assist with the meeting.

My guess is that "assist with the meeting" means "assist him with the meeting", but it is up to your group to determine what your bylaws mean.

As Parliamentarian, I've been asked by a member to help him draft a proposed bylaw that would allow absentee voting on any matter deemed substantive by a 2/3 vote of those attending a meeting.

I'd already made it known to the members at large that I would regard such a change in bylaws as pernicious, poisonous to the notion of the group as a deliberative assembly and a disincentive for members to attend meetings to perfect a motion or document.

What is my responsibility in this case?  l

The responsibilty of a Parliamentarian as the position is defined in RONR is to advise the presiding officer on the proper application of parliamentary law during meetings. It's ultimately up to your organization to interpret its own bylaws (see pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation), but at first glance, your bylaws appear to provide much the same thing. Therefore, it doesn't appear that you have any responsibility outside of meetings - you're free to do as you please.

Now, if and when this motion actually comes up at a meeting, you should keep your opinions to yourself.

Archived