The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approving Prior Meeting's Minutes, Seconding

thegman

I belong to an organization that has monthly committee meetings. The bylaws state that the general membership can receive committee minutes if requested. The timeframe for receiving minutes is 20 days after committee approval of the prior month's meeting. As it stands currently the membership has access to the minutes for meetings that are one month plus twenty days old. My question is can the members of the committee receive minutes to approve and second via email as soon as they are available from the committee member who takes them. This would shorten the time that the general membership would has access to them by at least 50 percent.

Thank you.

I belong to an organization that has monthly committee meetings. The bylaws state that the general membership can receive committee minutes if requested. The timeframe for receiving minutes is 20 days after committee approval of the prior month's meeting. As it stands currently the membership has access to the minutes for meetings that are one month plus twenty days old. My question is can the members of the committee receive minutes to approve and second via email as soon as they are available from the committee member who takes them. This would shorten the time that the general membership would has access to them by at least 50 percent.

It would be acceptable if all members of the committee are in agreement (pg. 503, lines 24-28), but why not just permit the members of the society to view the draft minutes (clearly marking them as such)?

If the parent organization authorizes the committee (p.501, correction: p. 500, line 25 ff.) to work by correspondence (p. 503) seems OK to me.

It depends on how the committees are established. See pg. 98, lines 21-28.

Archived