The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Roll call?

Guest Frank

Thank you. 

And when you say by statute, I assume you mean the bylaws of a particular body?

I'm a member of a school board and we've done both:  roll calls and just a general all those in favor signify by saying yes.

So, as long as our board policy doesn't direct us to follow a certain way of voting, it can be either?

(Hope my response isn't confusing.)

And when you say by statute, I assume you mean the bylaws of a particular body?

No.  A statute is a law passed by a local, state, or federal government.  An example of a statute requiring a Roll Call vote is Virginia's Open Meeting law which requires a Roll Call vote for any votes taken where at least one member is participating via teleconference.  Of course, that law only applies to public bodies which are subject to the law.

I'm a member of a school board and we've done both: roll calls and just a general all those in favor signify by saying yes. So, as long as our board policy doesn't direct us to follow a certain way of voting, it can be either?

Maybe.  A School Board very well may be subject to an Open Meeting law which might require a Roll Call vote in certain circumstances.  I would recommend you check to see if the Board is subject to that law.

Archived