The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Ballot bias in yacht club

Guest Lisa

Hi

I believe that the ballot used for our yacht club election was very biased and has some legal issues.  I have been looking for information on the topic but have not found anything for this issue.

officers were selected to run by a nominating committee.  I chose to run using a petition to be included on the ballot.  The ballot was printed with nothing under the committee selected nominees name.  Under my name "self-Nominated" was printed.  Yes and no boxes were after each name on the ballot.  I submitted a statement which was included in the envelope with the ballot but my name was not printed on the statement.

Another issue was that under the office of council section "following names were endorsed by the nominating committee" was printed with a list of the same people who have been in power for years and appoint themselves.  The one person who also submitted a petition to be on the council was listed below the list with "petitioned to be on council" above his name.

Can they legally do this?  The vote was very close but in my case the endorsed by the nominating committee nominee won by a few votes.  I also believe that they were using the "no" votes to lower yes votes in my case.

Hi

Yes and no boxes were after each name on the ballot. 

"Yes"/"No" votes on an election ballot are not proper.

The only way to vote "against" a particular candidate is to vote for someone else, who might be listed on the ballot, or might be a name you write in yourself.   Or a floor nominee.

I believe that the ballot used for our yacht club election was very biased and has some legal issues.  I have been looking for information on the topic but have not found anything for this issue.

officers were selected to run by a nominating committee.  I chose to run using a petition to be included on the ballot.  The ballot was printed with nothing under the committee selected nominees name.  Under my name "self-Nominated" was printed.  Yes and no boxes were after each name on the ballot.  I submitted a statement which was included in the envelope with the ballot but my name was not printed on the statement.

Another issue was that under the office of council section "following names were endorsed by the nominating committee" was printed with a list of the same people who have been in power for years and appoint themselves.  The one person who also submitted a petition to be on the council was listed below the list with "petitioned to be on council" above his name.

Can they legally do this?  The vote was very close but in my case the endorsed by the nominating committee nominee won by a few votes.  I also believe that they were using the "no" votes to lower yes votes in my case.

Yes and no boxes are not proper in an election. I think we need some more clarity on what you mean by "they were using the 'no' votes to lower yes votes in my case."

Legal questions should be directed to a lawyer.

They counted a "no vote" to subtract from a yes vote for each candidate.  As an example if candidate A received 10 yes votes and 8 no votes the end result of the count would be 2.  In a blatant case of fraud such as this is there anything I can do other than hire an attorney?

From the sounds of it no.  This issue is way beyond the scoop of this forum.

Normally, elections would be handled like this:

1)  The nominating committee would present its reports to the general membership.

2)  Additional nominations from the floor would be accepted.

3)  A ballot vote would take place.

4)  A member can 'write in' a name of a person they want to see elected.

5)  Any member who receives a majority of votes cast is elect (i.e. more votes than the other candidates combined votes.)

6)  Additional rounds of voting would take place for any positions where no candidate received a majority vote until such time that the position receives a majority vote.

They counted a "no vote" to subtract from a yes vote for each candidate.  As an example if candidate A received 10 yes votes and 8 no votes the end result of the count would be 2.  In a blatant case of fraud such as this is there anything I can do other than hire an attorney?

It seems rather obvious that this election was not conducted in accordance with Robert's Rules of Order, but I certainly wouldn't characterize it as "a blatant case of fraud." In any event, it appears that it is too late to do anything about it now.

For more information on contesting an election, look at pages 444-46 of RONR, 11th ed.

Archived