The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parliamentary meaning of "to consider."

Guest David F. Coffin Jr.

What does "to consider" a matter mean?

Generally, it would mean to debate and/or vote on the matter.

Has a motion that has been ruled out of order been "considered"?

If the chair ruled the motion out of order rather than stating the question on it, no, I would not say it had been considered by the assembly.

Is this question purely academic, or is there something else you'd like to ask based on this information?

Thank very much for your reply. The question is not academic, but the occasion of the question is a little complicated. It has to do with Presbyterian church law, which uses parliamentary law as its framework. There is a procedure in church law called a complaint, which can be addressed to one governing body, and then to the next higher if the complainent is not satisfied. The conditions for carrying the matter forward are, (1) that the complaint is denied, or (2) the governing body fails to "consider" the complaint.

In the instance I'm perplexed about, the body took the matter up, the moderator ruled it out of order, an appeal of his ruling was sustained. Thus the question: finding the complaint out of order, did the governing body fail to "consider" the matter so far as the term's proper parliamentary sense is concerned?

Thank very much for your reply. The question is not academic, but the occasion of the question is a little complicated. It has to do with Presbyterian church law, which uses parliamentary law as its framework. There is a procedure in church law called a complaint, which can be addressed to one governing body, and then to the next higher if the complainent is not satisfied. The conditions for carrying the matter forward are, (1) that the complaint is denied, or (2) the governing body fails to "consider" the complaint.

In the instance I'm perplexed about, the body took the matter up, the moderator ruled it out of order, an appeal of his ruling was sustained. Thus the question: finding the complaint out of order, did the governing body fail to "consider" the matter so far as the term's proper parliamentary sense is concerned?

Based upon the facts presented, I would say that the body did not "consider" the complaint so far as the common parliamentary law is concerned.

Whether the body "considered" the complaint so far as the bylaws of the Presbyterian church are concerned is beyond the scope of RONR and this forum.

Wonderfully helpful! Thank you very much.

I'm sorry I'm a little inept at using this system, as I've never used such before. Thus I don't know how to continue with my i.d.

I was just in St. Paul. Wonderful city! Most of my family, by marriage, is in the Twin Cities.

Grateful for your help.

Archived