The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Procedures For Sending An Issue To Disciplinary Committee

Guest William H Bonney

Guest William H Bonney

If your bylaws provide for a Disciplinary Committee then they should also provide the details on how the process works.

Ok, even though I'm a Cowboys fan, I'll take your word for it, lol  

Our Bylaws state "how" the Discipline Committee is formed, but does NOT state any procedure in which a complaint would be sent to the Committee. My initial thought was that the Board would discuss the complaint and have a vote to decide on whether it goes to the Disc. Committee or not.  Forgive me if I haven't provided enough details. 

The Committee is formed by the President appointing a Chair,, from there the Chair chooses 2 other impartial members. 

I'm assuming that the bylaws don't have more details regarding the Committee or who can refer matters to it elsewhere in the document.  If that is the case and the bylaws don't address discipline elsewhere I would probably lean one of two ways depending on what exactly the bylaws say in total regarding the Committee and discipline: 1) It be used as the Investigating Committee if allegations of misdeeds comes up, or 2) it be used as the Trial Committee (holding the trial and then reporting their recommendations to the Membership who will make the final decision).  See RONR pp. 644-669 for the entire trial process.  In either case I would highly recommend you all amend the bylaws as soon as possible to specify what exactly the Disciplinary Committee does.

BTW, don't get too excited about the Cowgirls victory Sunday because they have to come to FedEx Field on Dec. 22 and the 'Skins will send y'all back to Dallas scalpless. :D

Archived