The Official RONR Q & A Forums

electing an unknown as President

Guest joanna

Our AGM is on Tuesday next week and our current President is resigning.   No one has agreed to run for this key office.   The By-laws state that the AGM "shall elect a president for a one-year term" and are silent on the issue of leaving the postiion vacant.   The Board will elect a Vice President at the first Board meeting after the AGM so the VP could take over until we find a suitable president.  However, our concern is that someone totally unsuitable or totally unknown to the members will put themselves forward for teh President's position at the AGM.   We have always allowed nominations from the floor though this has not happened for the office of Presdient since I have been associated with the Board.   

I can think of 2 possible options but am not sure if they would be legitimate: 

1. suggest that the member in question put himself or herself forward for one of the 12 Director positions (there are 7 vacancies and 8 candidates at the moment); if elected, he or she could run for the position of VP (apart from the President, the Officers including the VP are elected by the Board); he or she would therefore automatically be acting President perhaps for the entire year or until another Annual General Meeting could be called to confirm the President in office;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

2. if he or she persits, call a vote even though there is no other candidate for President and the assembly could defeat the candidate.  

3. if the theoretical person agrees to one or two, we could proceed to amend the by-laws in six months time to require that any President must serve on the Board for at least 6 months before running for President.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

1. suggest that the member in question put himself or herself forward for one of the 12 Director positions (there are 7 vacancies and 8 candidates at the moment); if elected, he or she could run for the position of VP (apart from the President, the Officers including the VP are elected by the Board); he or she would therefore automatically be acting President perhaps for the entire year or until another Annual General Meeting could be called to confirm the President in office;                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

I don't see a problem with suggesting anything to the member in question (other than that it seems unwise to discourage your only candidate for President from running for that office), but there is no such thing as an "Acting" President unless your bylaws so provide. Unless your bylaws specifically provide otherwise, the Vice President automatically becomes President when there is a vacancy in the office of President.

2. if he or she persits, call a vote even though there is no other candidate for President and the assembly could defeat the candidate.  

If there is only one candidate running and the bylaws do not require a ballot vote, the chair should declare the candidate elected by acclamation. If you insist, the assembly could move that a ballot vote be taken, so that members can cast write-in votes. If no candidate receives a majority, you'd have another round of voting, and another, and so on. If you don't like the candidate, elect someone else.

3. if the theoretical person agrees to one or two, we could proceed to amend the by-laws in six months time to require that any President must serve on the Board for at least 6 months before running for President.

You can amend the bylaws to make it so that fewer members are eligible for President, but under the current circumstances I can't imagine why you think that's a good idea. You're having enough problems finding a candidate already.

The only real way to contest a candidate you don't like is to offer someone else to be elected in their stead. If someone nominates themselves, and you don't like them, then make sure someone else gets chosen!

Our AGM is on Tuesday next week and our current President is resigning.

For Joanna: is the president resigning (i.e. leaving office before his/her term is concluded), or just not seeking re-election to another term?

For the forum members: if, as we are led to believe, the president's term is "one year" (with no and/or until successor is elected language), does the failure of the membership to elect a president create a vacancy in that office, requiring the VP to ascend the throne?  I belive this topic has been discussed before here, just not sure what the consensus is.

As I recall the consensus, the presidential expiration (of his/her term) with no replacement elected, is an "incomplete election" not a vacancy.

Actually, I brought this topic up a while back in the Advanced Discussion forum, and it seems there is no reason it can't be both. Dan sums it up pretty well in Post #5.

Actually, I brought this topic up a while back in the Advanced Discussion forum, and it seems there is no reason it can't be both. Dan sums it up pretty well in Post #5.

Well, if it's both (and to respond more directly to Mr. Foulkes' question), would the vice-president automatically become the president (until a new president can be elected)?

Archived