The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Action on a Bylaws violation after approval of minutes

Guest JustAnotherBill

Guest JustAnotherBill

"The Group" requires written advance notice of any proposed Bylaws change. At a meeting discussing changes properly submitted, a motion is made, seconded, an carried to modify one section of those Bylaws (without advance notice). While I feel that the Chair was in error in not declaring the motion out of order, I was not at the meeting to say so. At the next meeting, the minutes containing this (questionable) motion were approved without comment. Is there any action I can take at the next meeting to reopen the issue and have the motion declared null and void?

The answer to your question depends on what exactly was to be modified by this motion. Was the motion intended to modify the properly submitted bylaw amendment under consideration? If so, the amendment may have been in order, with no need for advance notice, if the proposed change fell within the scope of notice for the properly submitted bylaw change. See RONR, 11th ed., p. 594-596 ("Amending a Proposed Amendment to the Bylaws") for the specifics.

Any motion that seeks to amend the properly submittted bylaw change beyond the scope of notice, or is intended to change a different section of the bylaws, would not be in order.

Archived