The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resolutions

Guest Marion Smith Reynoso

Guest Marion Smith Reynoso

If identical resolution are submitted by different authors, how should the By-Law Committee handle it.  My group was the author of the resolution and we shared it with another group as a example for them. However, they submitted the resolution as is and the Committee stated that they had received two of the same and choose to acknowledge only the other groups resolution.  Question:  Can a committee choose not to read a resolution under these conditions?

So the wording was EXACTLY the same in both of the resolutions?  Also, how does the process work for the amendments?  Do members submit their proposed amendments to the Committee who then presents them as is to the Membership?  Or do the members submit the amendment to the Committee who fine tunes it and presents it to the Membership as a recommendation from the Committee without attributing it to anyone?  Or is there another process.

The wording was exactly the same in both of the resolutions.  Members submit their propose amendments to the Committee, who then presents them as is to the Membership.

Does the Committee have the authority to not pass on proposed amendments to the Membership or must they pass on any they receive?

If identical resolution are submitted by different authors, how should the By-Law Committee handle it.  My group was the author of the resolution and we shared it with another group as a example for them. However, they submitted the resolution as is and the Committee stated that they had received two of the same and choose to acknowledge only the other groups resolution.  Question:  Can a committee choose not to read a resolution under these conditions?

It depends entirely on the authority granted to the committee by the bylaws. Such committees are frequently given the authority to combine similar (let alone identical) resolutions, but your bylaws may not grant that authority.

The wording was exactly the same in both of the resolutions.  Members submit their propose amendments to the Committee, who then presents them as is to the Membership.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if the resolutions are exactly the same, why does it matter?

They must pass it on. They can make recommendation, but Membership still has to vote it up or down. 

If this is correct, I suppose the committee is technically obliged to forward both resolutions. One of them will get processed, and the other one will be ruled out of order since it's exactly the same motion the assembly just considered.

If this is correct, I suppose the committee is technically obliged to forward both resolutions. One of them will get processed, and the other one will be ruled out of order since it's exactly the same motion the assembly just considered.

That would be one way to do it I suppose.  However, having the other resolution ruled out of order would seem pretty unfair to  Marion Smith Reynoso's group because the way she describes the situation it sounds like the first group stole Marion's group's work and presented it as their own.  If I were the reporting member I would have noted that the exact same resolution was proposed by two different groups and then the Chair would state the question.  That way her group would get some of the credit.

If I were the reporting member I would have noted that the exact same resolution was proposed by two different groups and then the Chair would state the question.  That way her group would get some of the credit.

I would as well.  A perfectly practical solution as only one resolution is being considered.

Archived