The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Properly place a motion on the floor

Guest Ron Hoskins

I may be splitting hairs, but...

If a motion has been made and seconded, and the chair simply says "With the motion being properly made and seconded, all those in favor say 'aye,'"  has the motion technically ever properly been placed on the floor?  If the assembly then actually votes, was the motion that was made properly disposed of or did the assembly vote on, in effect, nothing, because the motion never made it to the floor?

I am flip flopping on this one, because by actually voting the assembly (in my case, my city council,) the assembly is implying general consent that the motion was on the floor.  On the other hand, ROR requires a little more than "the motion was properly made and seconded" and only the chair can place a motion on the floor.

I'll include a quick example.  A motion is made and seconded to adopt ordinance number XXX approving the city budget for fiscal year 2014.  The mayor says "with a motion being properly made and seconded, all those in favor say 'aye'" and then "all those opposed say 'nay.'"  City council responded with more ayes than nays. Did city council actually vote on the budget, per ROR?

Thanks and yes I know, a city that adopts ROR really aught to get some basic ROR training.

The mayor says "with a motion being properly made and seconded, all those in favor say 'aye'" and then "all those opposed say 'nay.'"  City council responded with more ayes than nays. Did city council actually vote on the budget, per ROR?

Yes. The time to object to the fact that the proper procedure wasn't followed passed once the voting began.

Just as the lack of a second would be immaterial once debate begins.

Training in RONR rather than ROR, would be good,  yes.   Are you sure the Mayor and council didn't know full well ahead of time that they were skipping over stating the question and opening it to debate?  I can't fathom a city council that doesn't debate everything to the nth degree.  Perhaps this was all hashed out ahead of time, and although he still should have stated the question and made sure there was no further debate before he moved on to put the question, I agree with Guest_Edgar (Mr. Mt.)that it's done and over with. 

Archived