The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cannot get 2/3 vote needed to meet in another local. Meeting place is designated in Bylaws. National Pres. has given them permission to try new meet

Guest Marilyn Schouten

Guest Marilyn Schouten

Since it is felt that they cannot get the 2/3 voted to get a dispensation to meeting elsewhere and the National President has given her permission to try new meeting place as a trial for a year  - what procedure or vote do you suggest?

Since it is felt that they cannot get the 2/3 voted to get a dispensation to meeting elsewhere and the National President has given her permission to try new meeting place as a trial for a year  - what procedure or vote do you suggest?

If the meeting place is (unwisely) designated in the bylaws, that may only be changed by amending the bylaws. The national president's permission won't change that, unless the bylaws (or perhaps the bylaws of the parent organization) provide otherwise.

What is a "dispensation to meeting elsewhere"?  Is that language contained somewhere in your bylaws?

If the meeting place is (unwisely) designated in the bylaws, that may only be changed by amending the bylaws. The national president's permission won't change that, unless the bylaws (or perhaps the bylaws of the parent organization) provide otherwise.

Even if the meeting location is designated in the bylaws, the meeting can adjourn to meet at a different location.  As you pointed out, this won't change the "meeting place" as indicated in the bylaws, but it may be of some help.  

However, if this is a large organization, trying such a thing could be a real disaster.   :)

Even if the meeting location is designated in the bylaws, the meeting can adjourn to meet at a different location.

I'm not so sure. Of course I've never been a fan of suspending anything in the bylaws but let's imagine that an organization wants to "carve in stone" the requirement that all meetings be held within the town (or State, or Country) in which the organization, for all intents and purposes, exists. Can an inquorate assembly of members meet there and then adjourn the meeting to, let's say, some place foreign and exotic? Such as, for example, Canada?

Isn't a rule in the bylaws as to the location of a meeting a suspendable rule in the nature of a rule of order?

No, I don't think the location of a meeting is in the nature of a rule of order. After all, if it was, it couldn't be established by a standing rule (which is generally recommended).

I recall a standing rule about the time of meetings as being an example of a suspendable standing rule. A meeting could suspend the rules and adjourn to somewhere else, no?

Standing rules may be suspended so long as their application is within the meeting, and they may suspended (at most) for the duration of the session. Standing rules which have been enshrined in the bylaws, however, may not be suspended. Nonetheless, I think Tim is generally correct that the assembly may adjourn to another location. I don't think a rule establishing the meeting location would generally prevent the assembly from adjourning to meet at another location. (Although as Edgar points out, it might in some cases). Since it would be extremely tedious to meet at the usual meeting location and adjourn to another location at every meeting, I doubt this possibility is any consolation to the original poster.

I'm not sure how a standing rule about the time of meetings could be suspended, since a motion to Suspend the Rules would not be in order until the meeting began, and it would be a bit late at that point.

Archived