The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minority Voice

Guest Gary

Our Bylaw Committee is considering amendments to propose to the Club members to vote on.  Does RRON have comments on whether the Committee can only propose amendments it has agreed on by majority vote, or can a minority of Committee members propose amendments to the Club members that they believe are important? Thank you

The Committee's reports what the majority decides.  However, the minority can prepare their own report and request the Membership allow them to present it though the Membership isn't obligated to grant the request (RONR pp. 527-529).  However, even if the Membership doesn't allow the report's presentation a member in the minority can still speak against the Committee's recommendation and propose an amendment to the proposed amendment (provided the amendment falls within scope of notice).

Minority can report it's views, but only with the permission of the assembly.  P. 527

Of course, any minority member of the committee (who is also a member of the association) is free to debate the merits of what the majority report may have recommended. And offer amendments.

I see that my clone from neighboring Virginia, Mr. C. Harrison, types faster than I do.  (But I am more concise.)

Archived