The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Boards

Guest Albany

I (along with three others) will soon become a new board member Jan 1(assuming that we get elected). Current officer terms expire on Dec 31, so when do we elect new officers? Also who chairs the first meeting to be held in Jan? I am confused as to how the transition to a new board occurs.

When the board meets on (or after) January 1, the board members at that time will elect its officers (assuming that's how officers are elected). If there is no chairman, the assembly (the members present) would elect a chair pro tem (a temporary presiding officer).

Alternatively, the board could meet on December 31 and elect new officers. Or at least fill the vacancies until new officers could be elected next year.

Stay tuned. It's early.

I (along with three others) will soon become a new board member Jan 1(assuming that we get elected). Current officer terms expire on Dec 31, so when do we elect new officers? Also who chairs the first meeting to be held in Jan? I am confused as to how the transition to a new board occurs.

Congratulations  --  or my deepest sympathies...

To clear up a common misunderstanding:  you don't have a "new board".  It is the same old board but with new members.  And, as noted, when new members come on board various things automatically happen  --  see p. 488 ff.  (P. 489 does refer to a "new board" but only in an "in effect" sense.)

The 'outgoing' Chairman/President could simply call the meeting to order and ask if there are any objections with him/her chairing the meeting until after the new officers are elected or ask for nominations for a Chairman pro tem.

Of course that assumes the "outgoing" chair is still a member of the board (i.e. either his term had not expired or he was re-elected). 

The 'outgoing' Chairman/President could simply call the meeting to order and ask if there are any objections with him/her chairing the meeting until after the new officers are elected or ask for nominations for a Chairman pro tem.

This assumes a specific set of circumstances - he is no longer chair, but he is still a member of the board.

If he is still the chair (because the bylaws include an "until their successors are elected" clause), he can simply chair the meeitng until a new chair is elected - no need to ask permission.

If he is no longer the chair, and is also no longer a member of the board, he has no right to attend the meeting, let alone call it to order. Rather, any member of the board could call the meeting to order and preside over a brief election for a Chairman Pro Tempore, who would preside until the new officers are elected.

Archived