The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Session - Special Meeting Procedures re:attempt to fire Pastor

Guest Steve

I thank you all for your previous comments, and apologize for not having started a new/fresh topic.

Our church by-laws call for 25 names on a petition to call for a Special Meeting; allegedly 40 are on the petition (ie, 12% of the membership). Unfortunately, the church Moderator refuses to let anyone see the petition & signatures (she's not quite neutral), if they are not in agreement with the petition/willing to sign it. So all of us supporting the pastor have been frozen out. Interestingly enough, two of the Council members initiated the petition & at least 3 more of the 12 members signed it.

The congregation "tops" the Council in our congregational system, so whatever procedures adopted in secret to tilt the scales towards the dissenters can be overturned by the congregation as a whole at the Special Meeting. And, before the holding of a Meeting the entire congregation membership must be notified both through mail & by a reading at the worship service for the two prior weeks.

The information all of you provided on Robert's Rules has helped significantly! Thanks!

Will keep y'all posted, as requested.

Our church by-laws call for 25 names on a petition to call for a Special Meeting; allegedly 40 are on the petition (ie, 12% of the membership). Unfortunately, the church Moderator refuses to let anyone see the petition & signatures (she's not quite neutral), if they are not in agreement with the petition/willing to sign it. So all of us supporting the pastor have been frozen out. Interestingly enough, two of the Council members initiated the petition & at least 3 more of the 12 members signed it.

The moderator is not obliged to turn over the petition upon the request of individual members (unless your rules so provide), but the assembly could order the moderator to let them view the petition, by majority vote.

Are you concerned that there are not, in fact, 25 valid signatures? If it turns out that there aren't, it would be appropriate to raise a Point of Order that the special meeting is invalid since it was not properly called, and you can Appeal from the ruling of the chair if necessary.

The congregation "tops" the Council in our congregational system, so whatever procedures adopted in secret to tilt the scales towards the dissenters can be overturned by the congregation as a whole at the Special Meeting.

Steve, it is quite possible that the shoe is on the other foot. By which I mean, rules adopted by Council, LIKELY DO NOT BIND your assembly. In other words, there may not be anything to overturn, special "procedures" may require a vote by the assembly in order to be valid.

I use the word "likely" advisedly, I have some experience with (as they're called in my neck of the woods, supreme voters assemblies), but I could be wrong, you need to carefully review your bylaws.

In service,

Blanka

Archived