The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting laws

Guest Jason

I am part of a local youth organization! We have no rules or bylaws that we go by. I am seeking input around the voting for officers. Under roberts rules can you nominate and vote all in the same meeting? Also can votes be cast via text message and does a person have to be presnt to vote? They also use to rule that you have to have a child or children active in this club to have a voting right! Any input will be appreciated! Thanks...

We have no rules or bylaws that we go by

Then how do you know you have officers (and what their duties are, how long they serve, etc), who are eligible to be members, and that you even have an organization?

Under roberts rules can you nominate and vote all in the same meeting?

Yes.

Also can votes be cast via text message...

Not unless the bylaws specifically provides for it (RONR pp. 423-424) and you say you don't have bylaws.

They also use to rule that you have to have a child or children active in this club to have a voting right!

The bylaws should define who can be a member and if there are multiple classes of membership who is eligible for which one.

This is my childs second year in this group! Its has basically been them getting a group of adults together, electing officers and flying this by the seat of their pants and they make up their rules as they go! There has been five people appointed to write bylaws for the club to live by! Example: Coaches do not normally vote! Tonight we had our annual elections. Coaches did not vote. President position was tied @ nine votes each nominee! They decided to let the coaches vote and two people called approx six people to swing the election!!!

By now, you should have a pretty good idea of how you want to run things, so tell that bylaws committee to get cracking and write up those bylaws.  Get them  - or the chairman at least - a copy of RONR, 11th edition - the "Right Book" - and point him to Chapter XVIII.  Also scout around on the Internet for bylaws of other organizations like yours to use as a sample.

Get another copy of RONR for yourself and read page 553 and the pages following.  And get copies of RONRIB for your officers and Board (If you decide to have a Board).

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

RONR-IB is The Left Book, among the cognoscenti. You should read it first. Right there, standing in the bookstore; you may move away from the cashier if you'd be in the way, but no eating, no bathroom, no finding your car, someone like you shouldn't be driving anyway; it will only take an hour to peruse the whole little shiny yellow-covered volume, cover to cover, without pausing to ask passersby or the cashier or increasingly suspicious security thug whether I used "peruse" correctly (don't bother asking whether I used it pretentiously, we already know).

After a few hours when you calm down you can probably find your computer and ask more questions here. Mr Harrison and Dr Stackpole will probably still be around to answer them. Maybe me. We were thinking of maybe taking a day off to go fishing in West Virginia or something, maybe Mr Martin if he can hack his way through the ice in his foyer, but alas! t'was not to be. Maybe next week, or the millennium (spelled with fewer letters in Robert's Rules last time, to save space -- a fruitless endeavour) after that.

Living in a Home Owners Association, I want to know why the 2/3rds rule is beneficial to the community in Florida.

On the off-chance that your question is about a rule in RONR, I think it would be best to post your question as a new topic.

It seems fairly likely, however, that your question is about provisions of Florida law regarding HOAs, in which case it is beyond the scope of this forum.

Archived