The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating the same person to multiple offices

Guest Paul

If not expressly addressed in Bylaws, can a specific person be nominated to multiple offices ie: President, Vice-President, and Member at large, then take the highest office in which they receive the highest total of votes?

Also, if not expressly addressed in the Bylaws is there any rule on term limits?

He can take whichever office he wants (assuming, of course, that he has legitimately won it -- which means, he gathered a majority of the votes for the office, unless the bylaws imprudently prescribe something else). See p. 440.

RONR does not prescribe term limits.

Who's Guest_Guest?

I am also Guest_Guest.  I replied to my own question and it added me as guest_guest. 

Do you by chance have the text of what you refer to on page 440, I do not have a copy of the book yet.  During our club's nomination process a person was nominated to both President and Vice-President and a member objected stating that Roberts Rules says that you can only be nominated to a single office.  I am under the impression as you described above that as long as he receives the highest vote total in both offices he can (pick) which one he wants to serve in, then the other position would go to the second place in vote totals.  Is there text that you can paste that stipulates to that?  Thank you.

I am also Guest_Guest.  I replied to my own question and it added me as guest_guest. 

Do you by chance have the text of what you refer to on page 440, I do not have a copy of the book yet.  During our club's nomination process a person was nominated to both President and Vice-President and a member objected stating that Roberts Rules says that you can only be nominated to a single office.  I am under the impression as you described above that as long as he receives the highest vote total in both offices he can (pick) which one he wants to serve in, then the other position would go to the second place in vote totals.  Is there text that you can paste that stipulates to that?  Thank you.

You're both wrong.

A member may be nominated to multiple offices. If he wins multiple offices (which requires a majority vote unless your bylaws provide otherwise - the "highest vote total" doesn't necessarily cut it), he can choose which position to take. The assembly would then vote on the other position again - it does not automatically go to the runner-up.

"...a candidate who receives a majority for more than one office on a single ballot must, if present, choose which one of the offices he will accept; if he is absent, the assembly decides by vote the office to be assigned to him. The assembly then ballots again to fill the other office(s)" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 440, lines 9-14).

Archived