The Official RONR Q & A Forums

eligibility for running for commander

Guest Tom

So my question is about being eligible to run for commander of a veterens post. The rules read " in good standings" and I dont see what that means. I hear everyones interpitation but nothing in writing. My interpetation is that he or she must be paid dues and attend meetings?

"Members in good standing are those whose rights as members of the assembly are not under suspension as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws. A member may thus be in good standing even if in arrears in payment of dues (see pp. 406, 571–72). If only some of an individual's rights as a member of the assembly are under suspension (for example, the rights to make motions and speak in debate), other rights of assembly membership may still be exercised (for example, the rights to attend meetings and vote)."  RONR (11th ed), p. 6 footnote

Which to say... 

In Good Standing:

RONR/11 defines the term "member in good standing" on p. 6 in the footnote as referring to a member whose membership rights are not in suspension, either as a consequence of disciplinary proceedings (Chapter XX) or by operation of some specific provision in the bylaws of the organization.

So if you use the phrase "in good standing" in the bylaws, be sure to define exactly what you mean: what causes a member not to be in good standing, what he has to do to get back into the good graces of the association, &c. Also, you should specify which membership rights, duties, privileges, &c. are lost or suspended (or retained) by a member as a consequence of his being in "bad standing" as distinct from his being in good standing or ceasing to be a member at all.

Lets visit Suspension, If member is currently suspend ? Or was suspended and completed suspesion? They are saying since member was suspeneded in past he or she is not eligible. ? This member " IS NOT " currently suspended but was 3 years ago. They are not allowing him to run ??

Lets visit Suspension, If member is currently suspend ? Or was suspended and completed suspesion? They are saying since member was suspeneded in past he or she is not eligible. ? This member " IS NOT " currently suspended but was 3 years ago. They are not allowing him to run ??

So far as RONR is concerned, a member whose rights are currently suspended is not in good standing. A member whose rights have been suspended at some time in the past, but are not currently under suspension, is in good standing. Your rules may provide otherwise.

If the chair rules that a member is ineligible for office and you disagree with his interpretation, Appeal from the ruling of the chair.

So under Roberts Rules the rules unless amended in clubs bylaws says that (in good standings)  is , "not currently under suspesion, and not in rears of dues" ??

Under RONR, it's "not currently under suspension," period, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. RONR does not automatically strip rights or good standing from members who are in arrears of dues (although many organizations have such provisions in their bylaws).

Under RONR, it's "not currently under suspension," period, unless the bylaws provide otherwise. RONR does not automatically strip rights or good standing from members who are in arrears of dues (although many organizations have such provisions in their bylaws).

Just so we don't confuse Guest Tom, the rule doesn't actually use the word "currently" (see post 2), but I agree that's what it means.

Archived