The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Voting in Executive Session

Guest Richard

In an assembly meeting a member makes a motion to go into executive session.  I understand that the contents of the executive session are private.  However, if voting in executive session, our body has always made the outcome public, but not the vote count. I cannot find anything in RR stating whether the vote should or should not be released.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Or does anyone have the exact info from the 11 ed. from RR?

In an assembly meeting a member makes a motion to go into executive session.  I understand that the contents of the executive session are private.  However, if voting in executive session, our body has always made the outcome public, but not the vote count. I cannot find anything in RR stating whether the vote should or should not be released.

Can anyone shed some light on this situation? Or does anyone have the exact info from the 11 ed. from RR?

The decision is that of the assembly that meets in Executive Session.

"The minutes, or record of proceedings, of an executive session must be read and acted upon only in executive session, unless that which would be reported in the minutes—that is, the action taken, as distinct from that which was said in debate—was not secret, or secrecy has been lifted by the assembly."  RONR (11th ed), p. 96

Archived