The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Leadership Position - literally

Guest Daisy Chain

I just attended a meeting where the Senior Pastor of the church sat in the first row of the sanctuary with his back to the congregation during the 2 1/2 hours the meeting was held, except for when he was asked to speak a few words and he stood and addressed the people. What kind of message does it send to people when a leader sits with his back turned?

I just attended a meeting where the Senior Pastor of the church sat in the first row of the sanctuary with his back to the congregation during the 2 1/2 hours the meeting was held, except for when he was asked to speak a few words and he stood and addressed the people. What kind of message does it send to people when a leader sits with his back turned?

Was he presiding over the meeting at the time? If not, he certainly was not violating any rule of parliamentary procedure.

But, technically, when your Pastor enters into debate he should be addressing the chair, not the members present., p. 29.

(This is probably contrary to every pastoral instinct you pastor has within him, but in the situation you describe he, most likely, is "just another member" - he is in a business meeting, not the Sunday Service.)

It sends the message that he knows the rules.

Archived