The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsider or Another Motion to bring a topic forward again

cadonn

Hello.  I have been asked to research how an item can be brought up again after it was defeated.  Our Council defeated the use of internet voting in the 2014 Election.  It was 3 against 2 for - this was defeated at Council.  Now the community is getting together and wants it brought up again and I am not sure how best to bring this forward.  It was defeated about 2 meetings ago.  I would welcome any suggestions on how to get this back on the table. 

Thank you.

Cathy

Hello.  I have been asked to research how an item can be brought up again after it was defeated.  Our Council defeated the use of internet voting in the 2014 Election.  It was 3 against 2 for - this was defeated at Council.  Now the community is getting together and wants it brought up again and I am not sure how best to bring this forward.  It was defeated about 2 meetings ago.  I would welcome any suggestions on how to get this back on the table. 

Thank you.

Cathy

Main motions which have been rejected can be renewed at any later session. In other words, a member can simply make the same motion again (subject, of course, to previous notice requirements, if any).

Ok - just so that I am clear on this topic.  Council voted against allowing internet voting for the 2014 Election.  A resolution was passed stating ...Council does not approve of internet voting for the 2014 Election and will only provide traditional paper ballot voting.  Can any Council member then bring this back up on the agenda for consideration at any time?  What wording would they use, something like this:

Council Member:  Mr. Chair I would like to revisit or discuss internet voting again???

Does it need a seconder?

Sorry I am still very new at this and appreciate your help.

Ok - just so that I am clear on this topic.  Council voted against allowing internet voting for the 2014 Election.  A resolution was passed stating ...Council does not approve of internet voting for the 2014 Election and will only provide traditional paper ballot voting.  Can any Council member then bring this back up on the agenda for consideration at any time?  What wording would they use, something like this:

Council Member:  Mr. Chair I would like to revisit or discuss internet voting again???

Does it need a seconder?

Sorry I am still very new at this and appreciate your help.

Now it appears that the facts have changed from a motion having been defeated to a motion having been adopted. Whole new ball game. :)

Thank everyone.  Sorry if I was not clear in my first post.  Yes, it was a motion adopted to not allow internet voting for the election.  But if I understand then it can just be brought back without issue?

Cathy

I deleted my earlier posting since I missed that you passed a resolution "not" to allow.  :(

But if I understand then it can just be brought back without issue?

Yes, but it's a bit different. A member would move to rescind or amend the motion that the council adopted last time. This requires a 2/3 vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or a majority vote with previous notice.

As noted previously, however, you would need to amend the bylaws or a higher-level rule in order to authorize internet voting.

Deleting a post when there are subsequent posts breaks the continuity of the thread. Editing the post (even to the point of "expunging" it) is preferred.

It was not quoted back in any way or responded to in any way, so it's better, believe me.  Also, I was excercising one of the rights concomitant to membership here.  Try it.  :)

Archived