The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Electronic Session v. Electronic Meeting

Guest Bridget

RONR does not allow electronic or telephonic meetings without it being clearly stated in the bylaws. From what I have read RONR does not speak to electronic session, therefore as electronic sessions allowable since RONR does not specifically mention it?

Is traditional ever a factor in RONR? For example, if telephonic meetings have been conducted for many years with no objection by was not authorized via the bylaws can they still be done after an objection?

Since these meetings were not allowed in the bylaws does that nullify the meetings including the votes?

1) No.

2) No.

3) Let's put it this way, is anyone interested in causing catastrophic damage by trying to void out all past decisions made that way? 

Here is the rule in RONR  " It is a fundamental principle of parliamentary law that the right to vote is limited to the members of an organization who are actually present at the time the vote is taken in a regular or properly called meeting, although it should be noted that a member need not be present when the question is put. Exceptions to this rule must be expressly stated in the bylaws. Such possible exceptions include: (a) voting by postal mail, e-mail, or fax, and ( b ) proxy voting."  RONR (11th ed.), p. 423

Either stop doing what you're doing or properly amend the bylaws, one or the other.

*edited to take out the unforunately smiley that appears instead of a parenthetic b.

RONR does not allow electronic or telephonic meetings without it being clearly stated in the bylaws. From what I have read RONR does not speak to electronic session, therefore as electronic sessions allowable since RONR does not specifically mention it?

A session, as the term is defined in RONR, is one or more connected meetings with the same order of business. So I don't see how you could have an "electronic session" without one or more electronic meetings. As you note, this is not permitted.

Do you mean something different by the term "electronic session?"

Is traditional ever a factor in RONR?

Yes.

For example, if telephonic meetings have been conducted for many years with no objection by was not authorized via the bylaws can they still be done after an objection?

No. Tradition isn't a big enough factor to override a fundamental principle of parliamentary law. If you want to conduct meetings by teleconference, you'll need to amend the bylaws.

Since these meetings were not allowed in the bylaws does that nullify the meetings including the votes?

Yes.

Yes, I believe someone is interested in causing catastrophic damage and I need to know if they have grounds.

Yes, they do, but I don't think they'll be able to cause as much damage as they want to. Just a minor inconvenience, really.

The assembly can ratify some or all of the business conducted at the teleconference meetings at a proper, in-person meeting. That strategy should buy you time until you can amend the bylaws.

Archived