The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Very late minutes

Bridget

If the Secretary has not submitted minutes for review or adoption by the next meeting, can they be adopted after that?

Yes.

Does RONR have a time frame for the adoption of minutes or the number of meetings that pass by? (Our bylaws do not).

There is never a point at which the assembly becomes unable to adopt the minutes of a previous meeting, if that is your question. The minutes should be adopted as soon as possible, which is usually at the next meeting, but in unusual circumstances it might be some time later.

If this behavior persists, you might want to get a new Secretary. See FAQ #20.

It's looking like it's overdue for me or someone to recommend to the astute and effervescent and archly acerbic ("Well that sucks."  I don't think I've seen that expression on the RONR MB before.  Some of us used to think it wouldn't even be allowed; we confined our demimondaine language to, say, "darn" as an adjective or interjection, "diddly" as a noun, and, when feeling daring, maybe "sternutate" as a verb, leaving for later getting the piled-up scurrilous billingsgate out of our systems at meetings of the Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club in after-hours speakeasies, or if those all closed early, like when Haley's Comet shows up or Attila the Hun's birthday, maybe at Bridget's house if she unwarily let us in) Bridget that she pick up her copy of RONR - In Brief, and read it at once.  Then and there, in the bookstore, don't go to your car or the subway, just go and take the piddling hour or so; on the spot, possibly moving away from in front of the cashier but no lunch until you're done (how long could that first time take, it's 150 pages and most of them are blank, though I note that they don't deduct for that on the cover price) and Ladies' Room only if urgent, so that in a couple of days you can come back here and maybe ask some follow-up questions about RONR-IB and then after a couple more readings in a week or so, come back here to the world's premiere parliamentary Internet forum and start answering other people's questions yourself, so maybe guys like Sean and Edgar and Josh and I can maybe take a couple of days off maybe this year or next and go fishing in West Virginia (Sean, that's in the US, so probably south of Canada again) or something.

(N.B. I did mean "It's looking like it's overdue":  I'm repudiating the capricious snobbish rule that requires "as if" there.  Winston DID taste good like a cigarette should, and only a prig or Mrs Grundy, or someone brainwashes by prigs or Mrs Grundys, or by junior-high-school teachers, which amounts to the same thing -- which pretty much means all of us -- would assert otherwise.

(O dear Bridget, I perhaps have digressed.)

• 2 weeks later...

It's looking like it's overdue for me or someone to recommend to the astute and effervescent and archly acerbic ("Well that sucks."  I don't think I've seen that expression on the RONR MB before.  Some of us used to think it wouldn't even be allowed; we confined our demimondaine language to, say, "darn" as an adjective or interjection, "diddly" as a noun, and, when feeling daring, maybe "sternutate" as a verb, leaving for later getting the piled-up scurrilous billingsgate out of our systems at meetings of the Two Fisted Parliamentarians Club in after-hours speakeasies, or if those all closed early, like when Haley's Comet shows up or Attila the Hun's birthday, maybe at Bridget's house if she unwarily let us in) Bridget that she pick up her copy of RONR - In Brief, and read it at once.  Then and there, in the bookstore, don't go to your car or the subway, just go and take the piddling hour or so; on the spot, possibly moving away from in front of the cashier but no lunch until you're done (how long could that first time take, it's 150 pages and most of them are blank, though I note that they don't deduct for that on the cover price) and Ladies' Room only if urgent, so that in a couple of days you can come back here and maybe ask some follow-up questions about RONR-IB and then after a couple more readings in a week or so, come back here to the world's premiere parliamentary Internet forum and start answering other people's questions yourself, so maybe guys like Sean and Edgar and Josh and I can maybe take a couple of days off maybe this year or next and go fishing in West Virginia (Sean, that's in the US, so probably south of Canada again) or something.

(N.B. I did mean "It's looking like it's overdue":  I'm repudiating the capricious snobbish rule that requires "as if" there.  Winston DID taste good like a cigarette should, and only a prig or Mrs Grundy, or someone brainwashes by prigs or Mrs Grundys, or by junior-high-school teachers, which amounts to the same thing -- which pretty much means all of us -- would assert otherwise.

(O dear Bridget, I perhaps have digressed.)

I have picked up RONR, but I don't yet have it memorized. I thought this forum was for questions for everyone including people new to RONR. I see I was mistaken.

We only meet in person twice a year. It's difficult to remember what happened at a meeting 6 months to a year after.

That's why RONR recommends using a minutes approval committee when the next meeting will be more than a quarterly interval later than the meeting at which the minuets were taken. See RONR, p. 474, l. 31 to 475, l. 7.

Archived