The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proper Procedures

Retta

At a club we voted the previous month on something and it was passed.  The next month it was brought up again to change it and it was voted to keep the previous months decision.  After this was passed someone came to the same meeting about 20 minute late with a horrible attitude toward everyone (he is actually the parliamentarian) and tried to reopen the subject after it was voted on and passed.  He bullied everyone into changing their vote to what his agenda.   This resulted in 6 member walking out of the meeting and some saying they will not return.  Is this proper procedure and if not what can we do about it.  Is there any way I can get a manual of proper procedures or can you recommend an on line source?

At a club we voted the previous month on something and it was passed.  The next month it was brought up again to change it and it was voted to keep the previous months decision.  After this was passed someone came to the same meeting about 20 minute late with a horrible attitude toward everyone (he is actually the parliamentarian) and tried to reopen the subject after it was voted on and passed.  He bullied everyone into changing their vote to what his agenda.   This resulted in 6 member walking out of the meeting and some saying they will not return.  Is this proper procedure and if not what can we do about it.  Is there any way I can get a manual of proper procedures or can you recommend an on line source?

Since we don't know exactly what he proposed, it's not possilbe to determine if it presented a substantially new question from the one adopted earlier in the meeting, but if you adopted a motion to maintain the status quo (which should be avoided), it's possible his motion was proper;

Of course "bullied" is a subjective term, but RONR has plenty of rules regarding debate, including decorum.

The text of RONR is not available online, but you can buy it online here....  http://www.robertsrules.com/book.html

We are a cake club and we voted to have our Christmas party at a certain place at the October Meeting.  Then at the November meeting someone proposed we change it, we voted no and it was over.  Then a man came in about 20 minutes late after the voting took place.  It is my understanding that once a question once decided cannot be brought up again at the same meeting after passed.  He was late to the meeting and wanted to revote.  He is a very big, loud man and would not let anyone speak, then all the club said the motion was already made and passed.  He would not take no, that is when he scared people and they left.  Some said they would not return because he keeps doing this at every meeting.  I tried to bring up Point of Order but he was outraged. I thought an established minimum number of voting members that were present at the time of the vote and voted to keep the same venue was the correct procedure.  This man was not there at the time because he was 20 minute late, our meeting are only and hour long.  Also I thought it was the issued under discussion was the subject, not the person or personal remarks.  He said things out loud that was negative regarding our President and other members.  I hope this helps.

It is my understanding that once a question once decided cannot be brought up again at the same meeting after passed.

There are ways to bring up a motion at the same meeting. The motion to Reconsider exists for exactly that purpose. The motion to Reconsider can only be made by a member who voted on the prevailing side. It requires a majority vote for adoption. If adopted, the motion is back before the assembly in the same condition it was in just before the vote was taken on it.

We are a cake club and we voted to have our Christmas party at a certain place at the October Meeting.  Then at the November meeting someone proposed we change it, we voted no and it was over.  Then a man came in about 20 minutes late after the voting took place.  It is my understanding that once a question once decided cannot be brought up again at the same meeting after passed.  He was late to the meeting and wanted to revote.  He is a very big, loud man and would not let anyone speak, then all the club said the motion was already made and passed.  He would not take no, that is when he scared people and they left.  Some said they would not return because he keeps doing this at every meeting.  I tried to bring up Point of Order but he was outraged. I thought an established minimum number of voting members that were present at the time of the vote and voted to keep the same venue was the correct procedure.  This man was not there at the time because he was 20 minute late, our meeting are only and hour long.  Also I thought it was the issued under discussion was the subject, not the person or personal remarks.  He said things out loud that was negative regarding our President and other members.

So what exactly happened regarding this motion? Was another vote actually taken? If so, that vote will stand unless and until it's changed again.

As for the member himself, for starters, he should be removed from his position as Parliamentarian. The Parliamentarian is required to maintain the appearance of impartiality, and since you say he pulls these stunts at every meeting, he's clearly failing at that. The Parliamentarian does not speak in debate, make motions, or vote (unless the vote is taken by ballot). His role is to quietly advise the chair on parliamentary procedure.

Since the member also appears to possibly be violating the rules of decorum (which apply to all members), more severe disciplinary action may be in order, which is discussed in Ch. XX of RONR. You should also check to see if your bylaws have their own disciplinary procedures.

They don't want to fight, they want to bake cakes.  That's why some of them who want to bake cakes, and not fight, got up and left, and likely will not return.

(Man, that oblong box with the green stuff on top, whatever it is, was tough!  Seven pieces!  And it was getting almost too easy the past couple of months.)

Archived