The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Call of the Question / Ending Debate

Guest JCHLaw

It has been almost a decade since my last exposure to RR.  I REALLY REALLY need some guidance on the following:

I was in a board meeting yesterday assisting one of the board members.  The board was considering the renewal of a special license for a local business.  The member I was assisting had filed a complaint on behalf of a wronged customer of the local business.  This member was questioning the business representative, who was present with his attorney and under oath.  After about a dozen questions and answers, the member was attempting to call the first of his three (3) witnesses that came for the hearing/meeting.  Before the first was able to finish walking to the podium, another board member, adverse to our position, shouted "Move to Call the Question."  The chair, also adverse to us, jumped on this and said "Do I have a second?"  It was seconded.  The chair then called for a vote.  Several confused members, including the one I was assisting, called out "what are we voting on, exactly??"  The chair said "on the license renewal."  In the following seconds, a vote was taken and the chair announced that the business' license was renewed, per that vote.

That ain't right, is it??  I don't know the proper terminology or the procedure (or I wouldn't be troubling you good people with this), but it seems that first there needs to be a vote to close or end debate that was generated by the questioning of the business owner, then if that passes, there needs to be another vote on whether to renew the license. 

Can someone please attempt to un-confuse me??

Greatly appreciated,

Justin

Your antipenultimate paragraph (not counting your name) is entirely correct.

If you want a refresher in procedure (10 years eh, well, your memory is holding out) take a look at...

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening. Get both RONRIB and RONR (scroll down) at this link. Or in your local bookstore.

Page 35ff. will clear it all up for you.

I don't know the proper terminology or the procedure (or I wouldn't be troubling you good people with this), but it seems that first there needs to be a vote to close or end debate that was generated by the questioning of the business owner, then if that passes, there needs to be another vote on whether to renew the license.

Yes, this is correct, and the motion to close debate requires a 2/3 vote for adoption. Unfortunately, however, it is too late to correct the error at this time. Be ready to raise a Point of Order (and an Appeal, if necessary) if this happens again.

Since it seems likely that this is a public body of some sort, there may also be procedural rules in applicable law on these subjects, and those rules would supersede RONR.

Archived