The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Disbursements - how to handle

edstpeter

A dispute arose at a Board meeting regarding monthly disbursements. One member moved to approve the disbursements; another member stated that recieve and file was the appropriate motion.

I believe that neither motion is proper as the disbursements are a report and require no motion.

I need help -- trying to avoid a battle over this "BIG" deal.

A dispute arose at a Board meeting regarding monthly disbursements. One member moved to approve the disbursements; another member stated that recieve and file was the appropriate motion.

I believe that neither motion is proper as the disbursements are a report and require no motion.

I need help -- trying to avoid a battle over this "BIG" deal.

If the disbursements are a report for information only, you are correct that neither motion is required or appropriate.

To receive a report means for the assembly to hear it, so to move to do so is pointless when the assembly has just heard the report. The secretary automatically files all reports, so no motion to do so is necessary. A motion to approve is only used if the report contains recommendations (in which case, you approve the recommendations, not the report itself), or if the intent is to approve the report in its entirety as an official document of the society (such as if the report is to be published in the society's name).

Josh -- thanks for your quick response. So I don't get myself in trouble with my board, here is a bit more detail:

I am the general manager of a public water utlity in Wisconsin. Been here for 42-years. We are regulated by the state. All final action is by the board. An annual budget is adopted. From that budget, purchases are made and invoices are paid. Once a month, at a board meeting, I provide the board with a summary of the disbursements for the prior month. Since they already adopted the budget, there does not seem to be a need to act on the disbursements. Over the years the board would make a motion to approve the disbursement record, which I did not think was appropriate, but did not seem to be worth a battle.

Now I have a board member who is challenging the chair on some minor issues including what he believes is the necessity to what he calls "receive and file" the disbursements rather than "approve". His logic is, since the checks have been sent out the board can not approve them, but only receive and file.

Again -- thanks for your help.  Ed

An annual budget is adopted. From that budget, purchases are made and invoices are paid.

To be clear, certain people are authorized to make purchases and pay invoices, provided they fall within the budget?

Now I have a board member who is challenging the chair on some minor issues including what he believes is the necessity to what he calls "receive and file" the disbursements rather than "approve". His logic is, since the checks have been sent out the board can not approve them, but only receive and file.

The member's logic that a motion to "approve" is inappropriate seems sound, but there is no need to make a motion to "receive and file" the disbursements either, as these things happen automatically. If a report is for information only, no motion of any sort is necessary or appropriate.

Archived