The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Meeting Minutes

Guest Gloria

The board of our nonprofit is trying to send out minutes of our last annual meeting to our membership. Generally the board reviews the minutes and offers additions, deletions and corrections. We then vote to send them out as revised. This year the President insists that any changes from exactly what the acting secretary wrote requires that the minutes go out with a notation that they were "revised". Is this correct? Part of the "revision" was because the acting secretary put a number of items under "unfinished business" that were never previously before the membership. I asked that they all be moved to new business. Am i wrong? Is there ever a time when items that aren't a carry over from a prior meeting should go in "unfinished business"?

This year the President insists that any changes from exactly what the acting secretary wrote requires that the minutes go out with a notation that they were "revised". Is this correct?

RONR does not require such a notation in the revised minutes themselves, although the minutes of the board meeting the minutes were approved at will note that the minutes were approved "as corrected."

Part of the "revision" was because the acting secretary put a number of items under "unfinished business" that were never previously before the membership. I asked that they all be moved to new business. Am i wrong? Is there ever a time when items that aren't a carry over from a prior meeting should go in "unfinished business"?

You are correct that items which were not previously before the membership should have been under New Business. There is never a time when items that aren't carried over from a prior meeting should go in Unfinished Business, however, nothing in RONR suggests that the headings in the order of business should be included in the minutes at all. If you do include this information, then it should be included as it actually happened at the meeting, regardless of what was supposed to happen.

Archived