The Official RONR Q & A Forums

No rule that conflicts with a rule of a higher order is of any authority

Guest sirbuilder99

Hi.  I would like to know where the following is stated, if stated in RONR.

"No rule that conflicts with a rule of a higher order is of any authority"

or other than Improper Motions on page 343, does RONR say anything that a motion or rule of a lower body cannot exceed that of a higher body or rule made by a higher Body?

Thanks,

Mitchell

You had me for a few minutes, and I think maybe I'd like it if the book did make a general statement like that; but you're pretty much asking if superior rules are superior to the rules to which they are inferior; and while I'll concede that most clubs could argue bitterly about that for hours, coming to no conclusion -- I'm pretty sure The Lunarians must have, we once spent hours arguing whether the third month of the year necessarily has to come before the fourth month because here it's April and we didn't hold the elections in March that the bylaws prescribe so maybe we can by resolution define April as the third month, for just this year -- you shouldn't lose sleep over it.

One of us is more than enough.

[Edit:  "to the rules to which they are inferior" should be "to the rules that are inferior to them."  The way it reads above is idiocy.  As soon as I saw that David Foulkes posted right after me, I thought, uh oh, he's gonna shoot my ailerons off for some egregious blunder, I better re-read it.  Although it happens that DAF let this one alone.  Heck, it's Xstmas.]

_______

N.B.  Ailerons.  Anyone remember them?  Ancient parliamentary figure of speech.  Like the silver Porsche to be awarded to the 100,000th Original Poster.  And my pony.   -- hey, anyone notice it's Xmas?

Hi.  I would like to know where the following is stated, if stated in RONR.

"No rule that conflicts with a rule of a higher order is of any authority"

It's not stated in exactly those words.

or other than Improper Motions on page 343, does RONR say anything that a motion or rule of a lower body cannot exceed that of a higher body or rule made by a higher Body?

As Mr. Foulkes notes, there's a good general citation on pg. 10.

I think we can be of more help if you're a bit less vague. What kind of bodies are we talking about? A committee and its parent assembly? A board and the general membership of a society? A local chapter and a national society?

Archived