The Official RONR Q & A Forums

to whom does the nominting committee report?

Guest skt

HI,

Our board adopts an annual timeline for elections.

One step in the timeline states that the board APPROVES the nominations prior to the membership seeing the names.

I believe this is wrong and will try to get the board to change the wording.

I'm looking to Robert to back me up on my position.

From reading Robert I believe it is the membership to whom the nominating committee reports - not to the board.

Do you agree with my interpretation of Robert? (chapter XIV Nominations and Elections, Report of the Nominating Committee)

Any opinions about reasons for and against reporting to the board rather than the membership?

Thanks.

From reading Robert I believe it is the membership to whom the nominating committee reports - not to the board.

While that's typically the case (and the RONR default), it's entirely possible that your organization has adopted different rules (which would supersede RONR). So, as Mr. Mervosh asks, what do your bylaws say about your election procedure. If you find they're silent on this question, you should ask your board where it gets the authority to do what it's doing. If your bylaws don't give your board this authority (either generally or specifically), it doesn't have it.

Thanks for the responses.  No, our bylaws are silent on the subject.  It is only in the timeline the board adopts annually that the word APPROVE is mentioned. To me, for the board to approve the list of candidates is like the government telling us who we can vote for.  By the way, I'm now a member of the board and can move to change the wording. I'm looking for arguments to support my position.

skt

Thanks for the responses.  No, our bylaws are silent on the subject.  It is only in the timeline the board adopts annually that the word APPROVE is mentioned. To me, for the board to approve the list of candidates is like the government telling us who we can vote for.  By the way, I'm now a member of the board and can move to change the wording. I'm looking for arguments to support my position.

skt

Your understanding is entirely correct so far as RONR is concerned. As noted, the society may adopt a rule which provides otherwise, but it appears the society has not yet done so, and I agree with your reasoning as to why it should not do so.

So yes, it would appear that what is said in the timeline is in error and should be corrected to avoid confusion.

Archived