The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating committee eligibility

Robynttu

My organization elects a nominating committee for their elected officers. The committee is made up of 5 members (3 from the board of directors and 2 member-at-large). Our immediate past president is a member of the board of directors without voting privileges. Is she eligible to be voted on to serve on the nominating committee even if she can't vote?

She can serve, and unless the By-laws specifically state otherwise can vote at a Nominating Committee meeting.  The only way she could not vote is if the Immediate Past President cannot vote on any Committees while holding the Immediate Past President position.  And if the By-laws only talk about the position in relation to the Board then the voting restriction only applies to Board meetings, not Committee meetings.

Go on, Ed, now dig yourself out.

Robyn, stuff about ex-officio members is on p. 483 - 484 for boards, and a sentence in the middle of p. 487 for committees (which essentially refers you back to the rules for boards).  I don't think it thoroughly backs up what Ed said, which is why I'm inviting him to inch back along the plank he breezily strolled out on.

[Edited over a few minutes to tinker.]

My organization elects a nominating committee for their elected officers. The committee is made up of 5 members (3 from the board of directors and 2 member-at-large). Our immediate past president is a member of the board of directors without voting privileges. Is she eligible to be voted on to serve on the nominating committee even if she can't vote?

The IPP is most certainly eligible to serve on the nominating committee and would be a full voting member of the nominating committee if elected, unless the bylaws provide otherwise.

The interesting question is whether, under the purposes of this rule, the IPP would count as one of the three members from the board or one of the two general members. RONR does not have "non-voting members," so that will be a question of bylaws interpretation. See RONR, 11th ed., pgs. 588-591 for some Principles of Interpretation.

Archived