The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Termination of Appointments & return of property

Guest Dana Scott

When a committee member is terminated, how long does terminated member have to return organization property..i.e. paperwork belonging to organization?

RONR doesn't have a set time limit. I'd say "as soon as possible." If he's taking an unreasonably long time, adopt a motion ordering him to return it by such and such date.

"A committee should take care to preserve the papers referred to it from the society, since, after its assignment is completed, they must be returned in the same condition as when received. If the committee wishes to write on copies of the documents, therefore, it must obtain its own photocopies, unless it has been provided with extra copies specified in its instructions as for that purpose"  RONR (11th ed), p. 499

I accept Guest Dana Scott's statement that the material in question belongs to the society and I agree with Chris and Josh.  If the committee or it's members did make copies at their own expense, do the copies belong to the society as well?

"A committee should take care to preserve the papers referred to it from the society, since, after its assignment is completed, they must be returned in the same condition as when received. If the committee wishes to write on copies of the documents, therefore, it must obtain its own photocopies, unless it has been provided with extra copies specified in its instructions as for that purpose"  RONR (11th ed), p. 499

I accept Guest Dana Scott's statement that the material in question belongs to the society and I agree with Chris and Josh.  If the committee or it's members did make copies at their own expense, do the copies belong to the society as well?

No rule in RONR says so.

Archived