The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes of a Meeting

Guest RUDOLPH PRESCOD

If the person or persons didn't have the authority to change the decision it wasn't changed (and those persons could be disciplined). If they did have the authority then your only recourse might be to try to change the decision back.

The minutes should record what was done, even if what was done was improper. Conversely, simply recording something in the minutes doesn't make it right.

Well, these persons can't actually change the decision without authority (or a some magic wand that distorts the universe).  The decision is what it is. 

However, if they act in a way that is in conflict with a properly made decision of the board, they could be personally liable for the consequences.  For example, if they bought something without approval, they could be stuck for the cost. 

Also, depending on the offense, they could be subject to discipline of varying degrees, up to and including expulsion from membership.

There might also be legal issues, but that's beyond the scope of this forum.

Also, depending on the offense, they could be subject to discipline of varying degrees, up to and including expulsion from membership.

Unless the person(s) involved has the power to alter decisions, then perhaps it is not that they "could be subject to discipline" but rather should be disciplined - even if it is only a slap on the wrist.

Unless the person(s) involved has the power to alter decisions, then perhaps it is not that they "could be subject to discipline" but rather should be disciplined - even if it is only a slap on the wrist.

Well, that'll be up to the assembly.  I could envision a set of circumstances where the assembly might ratify the actions of the rule breakers and commend them for quick thinking and bold action.  But it seldom ends so happily, and the rule breakers assume that risk when they break the rules.

Well, that'll be up to the assembly.  I could envision a set of circumstances where the assembly might ratify the actions of the rule breakers and commend them for quick thinking and bold action.  But it seldom ends so happily, and the rule breakers assume that risk when they break the rules.

Yes, there are times when the best option is to do something different when the time arrives (for example, to buy paint for the clubhouse in one month but instead to do so in two weeks when it is on sale.)  However, in many cases (virtually all in my experience), when something like this happens it is not in the best interest of the organization - and like I said, the discipline can be a slap on the wrist - basically a motion passed reading something like "Joe Smith is not too change the order date on any purchases again."

Archived