The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Approval of Committee Minutes

Watson

If circumstances require that the minutes of a standing committee be approved before its next regular committee meeting, and calling a special meeting just for that purpose is not possible, what other options are available? (Note: This committee is empowered to make its own rules of procedure and all members have access to email.) Thank you.

If circumstances require that the minutes of a standing committee be approved before its next regular committee meeting, and calling a special meeting just for that purpose is not possible, what other options are available? (Note: This committee is empowered to make its own rules of procedure and all members have access to email.) Thank you.

A report of a standing committee can contain whatever has been agreed to by every one of its members without a meeting having been held (p. 503, ll. 24-28), but you do not seem to be referring to a report of the committee.

As to electronic meetings in committees, see page 98.

I would question any circumstance that would require the approval of minutes rather than simply the decision of the assembly. In my experience this is usually insisted upon by someone who does not understand that the president of an assembly has the authority and duty to certify that assembly's decisions.

I would question any circumstance that would require the approval of minutes rather than simply the decision of the assembly. In my experience this is usually insisted upon by someone who does not understand that the president of an assembly has the authority and duty to certify that assembly's decisions.

The question asks us to assume that approval of the minutes is required for some reason or other, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to suggest that RTW explore the possibility that some other form of authentication may suffice.

You state that calling a special meeting just for that purpose is not possible, but could a special meeting be called for another purpose, such as for consideration of changes to the rules of the committee?

You state that calling a special meeting just for that purpose is not possible, but could a special meeting be called for another purpose, such as for consideration of changes to the rules of the committee?

If calling a special meeting for the purpose of approval of minutes is not possible, then calling a special meeting for any purpose is not going to be possible (unless this committee has some peculiar rule on the subject).

If calling a special meeting for the purpose of approval of minutes is not possible, then calling a special meeting for any purpose is not going to be possible (unless this committee has some peculiar rule on the subject).

That is true, but RTW used the phrase "just for that purpose." (emphasis mine) There are a number of reasons why someone might use that phrase. One is that the issue isn't considered important enough to call a meeting. Another is that the bylaws provide instruction concerning what things for which a special meeting can be called. I asked the question because clarification of why a special meeting can't be called might help us understand what options are available.

That is true, but RTW used the phrase "just for that purpose." (emphasis mine) There are a number of reasons why someone might use that phrase. One is that the issue isn't considered important enough to call a meeting. Another is that the bylaws provide instruction concerning what things for which a special meeting can be called. I asked the question because clarification of why a special meeting can't be called might help us understand what options are available.

This is all okay so long as it is understood that nothing in RONR prevents a special meeting from being called solely for the purpose of approval of minutes.

This is all okay so long as it is understood that nothing in RONR prevents a special meeting from being called solely for the purpose of approval of minutes.

http://www.robertsrules.com/interp_list.html#2012_1  Just in case someone did not understand

Thanks to all of you for your attention to my question. There are people here who believe that a committee be required to have a non-member secretary keep minutes and immediately submit those minutes to the parent assembly as the committee's 'report'. The committee members, therefore, never have an opportunity to review those minutes before they are distributed and errors remain uncorrected before such minutes are 'filed' as a permanent record. 

I personally agree that this is a sorry attempt to improve on RONR. When opportunities present themselves, I try to diplomatically bring about change. Same old story; I'm sure you've all been there. It's the tale of Sisyphus all over again. 

Thanks to all of you for your attention to my question. There are people here who believe that a committee be required to have a non-member secretary keep minutes and immediately submit those minutes to the parent assembly as the committee's 'report'. The committee members, therefore, never have an opportunity to review those minutes before they are distributed and errors remain uncorrected before such minutes are 'filed' as a permanent record. 

I personally agree that this is a sorry attempt to improve on RONR. When opportunities present themselves, I try to diplomatically bring about change. Same old story; I'm sure you've all been there. It's the tale of Sisyphus all over again. 

Well, if the committee members (and the parent assembly) are willing to put up with this nonsense, as apparently they are, there is no sense trying to save them from themselves. :)

Without knowing the nature of this committee's assigned function, it is difficult to understand why it is that, prior to the adjournment of its meeting, it cannot agree to exactly what it is that it wishes to report to its parent's assembly, and also make sure that this is accurately recorded. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that this nonmember secretary immediately submits the minutes of the committee's meeting to the parent's assembly as the committee's report, which is then filed as a permanent record. Do you mean that this report is actually submitted at a meeting (as would ordinarily be the case)?

Archived