The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Guest Margaret Olson

Quorum at Executive Board Meetings

Guest Margaret Olson

We are entertaining the idea of having proxies stand in for members who are absent......Someone on the board said the proxy could be anyone in the membership, others say it should be someone already on the board. Some say it is not permissable under Robert's rules. I cannot take a chance in opening a can of worms because of the difficult one on the board.. I would rather have the absent committee chair appoint an assistant who would attend  the  Board meeting, We have done this in the past with no problem.  The bylaws  state that "each committee shall be represented at board meetings." Perhaps we should ask each committee chair to have an assistant and put that in the bylaws. What do you think?

We are entertaining the idea of having proxies stand in for members who are absent......Someone on the board said the proxy could be anyone in the membership, others say it should be someone already on the board. Some say it is not permissable under Robert's rules. I cannot take a chance in opening a can of worms because of the difficult one on the board.. I would rather have the absent committee chair appoint an assistant who would attend  the  Board meeting, We have done this in the past with no problem.  The bylaws  state that "each committee shall be represented at board meetings." Perhaps we should ask each committee chair to have an assistant and put that in the bylaws. What do you think?

See FAQ #10.

Guest Margaret Olson

So should we tighten up the bylaws and define more specifically who the representative from the committee should or can be?

So should we tighten up the bylaws and define more specifically who the representative from the committee should or can be?

If all that is said on this subject is "each committee should be represented at board meetings," then yes, I think it is fair to say that clarification would be desirable.

Proxy voting is flatly prohibited by RONR to the maximum extent permissible by law, because it violates fundamental principles of parliamentary law.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.