The Official RONR Q & A Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Louise

Committee reports given to the Board

Another committee/board question.

If a committee that has been formed by the board submits a report to the board, is the board obligated to either accept the reports recommendations OR refer it back to the committee for more work?

If the board refers the report back to the committee, can/should the board make recommendations as to the types of changes/work that it (the board) would like to see?

Alternatively, can the board receive the report and proceed to change it as needed without referring it back to the committee that produced it?  

If a committee that has been formed by the board submits a report to the board, is the board obligated to either accept the reports recommendations OR refer it back to the committee for more work?

No.

If the board refers the report back to the committee, can/should the board make recommendations as to the types of changes/work that it (the board) would like to see?

The board can even give instructions to the committee (not just recommendations). Whether it should is at the board's discretion.

Alternatively, can the board receive the report and proceed to change it as needed without referring it back to the committee that produced it?  

Yes. The board can amend the recommendations in the report. It could also reject the recommendations.

Thanks, Josh.

We have a committee chair who holds some misunderstanding in this area.

Is there a RONR quote I can reference on that last point, by chance?

As to amending a motion see Section 12.

As to amending the report itself, see pages 509-510.

Better yet, start on page 506 and read through to the top of page 510.

Edited by Daniel H. Honemann
Added the last sentence.

Thank you.

I had actually started on page 503, but I think I confused myself. When those pages refer to the "assembly," then in our case, would the "assembly" be the board (who formed the committee) rather than to the general membership?

I had actually started on page 503, but I think I confused myself. When those pages refer to the "assembly," then in our case, would the "assembly" be the board (who formed the committee) rather than to the general membership?

Yes.

Neither.  The Board could defeat the motion(s) to approve the recommendations.  Or the Board could send the report back to the Committee.  Or the Board could refer the recommendations to another Committee.

No, but this is likely a good idea.  If the Committee does not know why the recommendations are being referred back to it (the Committee), then how would the members know what to look into.

Yes, they can accept the recommendations as presented or amend them before approving them.

Guest Edgar

Yes. The board can amend the recommendations in the report. It could also reject the recommendations.

Yes, they can accept the recommendations as presented or amend them before approving them.

But the board can't change the report. It is what it is.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this