The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing the order of the agenda

Guest Debra O'Neill

Guest Debra O'Neill

Can the order of the agenda be changed?

If so, how?

Are there restrictions on how it can be changed?

I want to bring up a topic that is listed at the bottom of the agenda to the top....even before reading and approval of prior minutes?  can this be done?  how?

I want to bring up a topic that is listed at the bottom of the agenda to the top....even before reading and approval of prior minutes?  can this be done?  how?

This rule may be applicable. "At a session that already has an order of business, an agenda can be adopted by a majority vote only if it does not create any special orders and does not conflict with the existing order of business; otherwise, a two-thirds vote is required" (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 372).

If the assembly has a special order of business in its rules or if the assembly usually meets at least quarterly (in which case the standard order of business applies), then while it would only require a majority vote to move this item to the top (even before the reading and approval of the minutes), the amended agenda would then require a 2/3 vote for adoption.

Additionally, I think it would very rarely be advisable to move an item before the reading and approval of the minutes.

• 2 years later...
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2014 at 7:15 PM, Guest Debra O'Neill said:

Can the order of the agenda be changed?

If so, how?

Archived