The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Rules

Guest Rita

We have regular chapter business meetings and social meetings.  The hour the meeting is to start is stated in our standing rules.  Is a social meeting considered a chapter meeting? I am trying to determine if we have to vote to change the time of a social meeting or not.

Our standing rules states that a Chapter vote must be taken at a previous meeting to change the time.

Thank you.

Your "social meeting" only becomes a "business meeting" if you intend to transact, well, business at it.

I don't think we have enough information to determine what, in Guest Rita's organization, is the difference between a "business meeting" and a "social meeting" (or how, or whether, you can turn one into the other). In RONR-Land there are only meetings.

I don't think we have enough information to determine what, in Guest Rita's organization, is the difference between a "business meeting" and a "social meeting" (or how, or whether, you can turn one into the other). In RONR-Land there are only meetings.

But those are specifically, and intrinsically, business meetings.  Can't we say that if the social meetings do not include any business (by rule, non-suspendable), they are clearly not governed by parliamentary procedure.

But Guest_Rita, if the organization does not decide when to schedule, or to re-schedule, its social meetings, who will?

But those are specifically, and intrinsically, business meetings.  Can't we say that if the social meetings do not include any business (by rule, non-suspendable), they are clearly not governed by parliamentary procedure.

Yes, I think we can say that if the meetings cannot conduct business, then they are not meetings of a deliberative assembly.

Archived