The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Guest Guest

On the agenda of a recent meeting of our group, we voted in favor to accept a proposed project of an outside writer to write a certain book that needed our organization's approval. Following the meeting (in which the minutes reflect our Yes vote), the writer withdrew his proposal. Can we 1) insert this No-Project information into the minutes as an amendment to the minutes;, 2) have to hold another meeting? 3) Send this fact in a cover note to the minutes? Or what? Thanks!

Can we 1) insert this No-Project information into the minutes as an amendment to the minutes

No.

2) have to hold another meeting?

No, you don't have to hold another meeting.

3) Send this fact in a cover note to the minutes? Or what?

No rule in RONR would prevent it.

It would certainly seem reasonable to inform the assembly that the book will not be written. RONR doesn't really specify how you should go about this, except that this information certainly should not be included in the minutes, as the minutes are a record of what happened at the meeting. The assembly may, if it wishes, rescind or amend the motion that was adopted regarding this issue.

I agree with Mr. Martiin.   I think if the assembly wishes to memorialize the situation in the minutes, one way would be to move the adoption of a resolution along the lines of; 

Whereas, The offer for ... has been withdrawn; therefore be it

Resolved,  That the motion to ... is rescinded.

The offer was turned down by the writer, not withdrawn by the Assembly.  Therefore this should be reported by an officer or the relevant committee chair and stated as such in the next set of minutes--otherwise, if one were to read the previous minutes and then the new minutes, a member would not know what happened.  

The offer was turned down by the writer, not withdrawn by the Assembly.  Therefore this should be reported by an officer or the relevant committee chair and stated as such in the next set of minutes--otherwise, if one were to read the previous minutes and then the new minutes, a member would not know what happened.  

Nonetheless, reports are not included or summarized in the minutes unless so ordered by the assembly. In the ordinary case, when a report for information is given, the minutes simply note that the report was received and placed on file.

Therefore this should be reported by an officer or the relevant committee chair and stated as such in the next set of minutes . . .

I think what's being objected to is your suggestion that the secretary "briefly summarize" the report in the minutes. Such summaries, brief or not, are fraught with peril.

I think what's being objected to is your suggestion that the secretary "briefly summarize" the report in the minutes. Such summaries, brief or not, are fraught with peril.

It may well be that it would be more prudent for the assembly to order the report (or an excerpt of the report) to be included in full rather than to order a summary to be included, but my point is that the report should not be included the minutes in any form unless so ordered by the assembly.

Archived