The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Hearing for Charges

Guest Tina

If a member files charges against another member and then the filing member becomes a Board member prior to the hearing would said Board member be able to sit on the Board for the hearing? Our bylaws do not address this, so I wondered if Robert’s Rules has anything to say on the subject. Thank you in advance for any information you can provide.

RONR p. 407 ll. 22-31 says:

No member should vote on a question in which he has a direct personal or pecuniary interest not common to other members of the organization. ... However, no member can be compelled to refrain from voting in such circumstances.

Whether this situation constitutes one of those interests is something the member will have to decide.

This is a snip from our bylaws in which it is the Board who has authority for the hearing, that is why I question if it would be appropriate for the members who became Board members after they filed charges to now be voting on what will happen to the member they filed against. We are a Board of 9 and now 2 seats are held by the complainants. 

"Section 3) Board Hearing 

The Board shall have complete authority to decide whether counsel may 
attend the hearing, but both complainant and defendant shall be treated 
uniformly in that regard. Should the charges be sustained after hearing all 
the evidence and testimony presented by complainant and defendant, the 
Board may by a majority vote of those present reprimand or suspend the 
defendant from all privileges of the club for not more than six months from 
the date of the hearing."

This is a snip from our bylaws in which it is the Board who has authority for the hearing, that is why I question if it would be appropriate for the members who became Board members after they filed charges to now be voting on what will happen to the member they filed against. We are a Board of 9 and now 2 seats are held by the complainants. 

Whether it would be appropriate depends on whether this constitutes a "personal or pecuniary interest not in common with other members." In any event, however, the members certainly have the right to vote unless your bylaws provide otherwise.

I guess I felt this would be a conflict of interest and wondered how a fair hearing can be held with the complainants now sitting on the board.

It is entirely possible your concern has merit.  However, RONR won't be helpful in keeping the complainant from participating or voting at the hearing.  If your concerns come to pass (or even if they don't) you all might want to amend the bylaws so there is a process in place to deal with the situation if it comes up again.

It is entirely possible your concern has merit.  However, RONR won't be helpful in keeping the complainant from participating or voting at the hearing.  If your concerns come to pass (or even if they don't) you all might want to amend the bylaws so there is a process in place to deal with the situation if it comes up again.

Thank you Chris, I had already been thinking the same thing.

Archived