The Official RONR Q & A Forums

The use of proper titles

RBE in Texas

The question came up recently at a meeting and I feel the answer provided was incorrect. I suspect this panel will have the facts.

Is it true per RRO that proper titles cannot be used in the course of regular proceedings for members of the board? For example, if there is a Judge Smith or Doctor Smith on the board, are they to be referred to as Mr. "Smith", or will their proper titles be allowed (i.e. Dr. Smith/Judge Smith)?

I was told that everyone MUST be called Mr or Mrs other than the President of the board.

I have searched the rules and do not find where RRO imposes such a rule.

Thanks

Is it true per RRO that proper titles cannot be used in the course of regular proceedings for members of the board? For example, if there is a Judge Smith or Doctor Smith on the board, are they to be referred to as Mr. "Smith", or will their proper titles be allowed (i.e. Dr. Smith/Judge Smith)?

I was told that everyone MUST be called Mr or Mrs other than the President of the board.

Nothing in RONR provides that "everyone MUST be called Mr or Mrs other than the President of the board." If there is a "Dr. Smith" on the board, no rule in RONR either requires or prohibits members from referring to him as "Dr. Smith."

I'd also note that in the example of a motion to Commit on pg. 179, the chair refers to a member of the assembly as "Dr. Donaldson."

The question came up recently at a meeting and I feel the answer provided was incorrect. I suspect this panel will have the facts.

Thanks

There is no rule in RONR which provides that, if there is a Judge Smith or Doctor Smith on the board, he is to to be referred to as Mr. "Smith". Whenever it is necessary to refer to him by name, he may (and probably should) be referred to as Judge Smith or Dr. Smith.

Your organization should follow its own customs.

There are certain titles which are traditionally used regardless of the context. I'd say that medical doctors (and maybe judges) fall into this category. It's a sign of respect and a recognition of their status in the wider community. On the other hand, if someone has a PhD in, say, mathematics, I wouldn't refer to him as Dr. Smith unless it was in an academic context. But that's just me. Dr. Stackpole may feel differently.

When the cry goes out, "Is there a doctor in the house?", a PhD in mathematics isn't what you're looking for.

Edited to add: Military personnel in uniform are probably properly addressed by their rank. And maybe Colonel Sanders too.

During the French Revolution everyone was addressed as "Citizen" (in French, of course). In the Soviet Union it was "Comrade". Neither system worked out too well.

Excellent posts by all. Much appreciated and confirms what my own research has also found. I came here as this is the "official" site. I agree re the PhD of mathematics and should have made it clear that I was referring to a physician.

I also agree that military personnel should be referred to by rank particularly given the history of this text.

Thanks!

That's because there is no such rule. 

Hand the book to the person making this claim, and ask to be shown where this supposed rule is written.  The burden of proof is on the person making the claim.  (Don't worry, it's not in there.)

Archived