The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominating Committee - President Elect Allowed to Serve???

Guest P. Beamer

I posted a question under Nominating Committee - President Elect allowed to serve.

An organization I belong to changed bylaws to allow President Elect to serve on Nominating Committee.

I was opposed. Sure enough, not only did PE serve but also chaired.

Professional Registered Parliamentarians - please weight in on whether this should be allowed.

Would like lots of opinions - pro and con to take back to board build my case.

45 people viewed post. Please comment

If the bylaws say the president-elect serves on the nominating committee, and he is properly elected as chair, RONR does not prohibit this.

In my opinion it is not ideal for the president to be elected a year in advance nor for the president-elect to chair the nominating committee, but no more.

I posted a question under Nominating Committee - President Elect allowed to serve.

An organization I belong to changed bylaws to allow President Elect to serve on Nominating Committee.

I was opposed. Sure enough, not only did PE serve but also chaired.

Professional Registered Parliamentarians - please weight in on whether this should be allowed.

Would like lots of opinions - pro and con to take back to board build my case.

Nothing in RONR suggests that the President-Elect should not serve on the Nominating Committee. RONR does suggest that the President should not serve on the nominating committee, though, for what it's worth.

So far as my personal opinion is concerned, I'd prefer that the society didn't have a President-Elect in the first place, so I haven't given much thought to whether such an officer should serve on the Nominating Committee. :)

Nothing in RONR suggests that the President-Elect should not serve on the Nominating Committee. RONR does suggest that the President should not serve on the nominating committee, though, for what it's worth.

As I suggested in my earlier reply, I don't think it's much of a stretch to extend RONR's admonition against the president serving on the nominating committee to the president-elect.

In either case, it's not a prohibition and this organization has obviously made up its mind. Further, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference who chairs the nominating committee. He'll only have one vote.

Can people comment on their objections to a President Elect?

A lot can happen in a year (or however far in advance you elect your next president). The person who, in April 2013, you thought would make a great president might, by the time April 2014 rolls around, turn out to be an idiot. Why make such an important decision so far in advance?

Conversely, if he's such a great candidate, why wait a year (or more) before he takes office?

Further, consider the effect on the current president knowing that his replacement is hovering over him for a year (or more).

Archived