The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Eligibility to vote to suspend rules?

Guest Visitor

Not all members of a body I am a member of are eligible to vote on all matters. Is someone who is not eligible to vote on a particular motion eligible to vote on a motion to suspend the rules regarding the motion (in this particular case, to suspend the rules requiring a second reading of a motion)?

Not all members of a body I am a member of are eligible to vote on all matters. Is someone who is not eligible to vote on a particular motion eligible to vote on a motion to suspend the rules regarding the motion (in this particular case, to suspend the rules requiring a second reading of a motion)?

I agree with Mr. Mervosh.  We can't interpret your particular bylaws, but bylaws that require a second reading of a motion are usually in the nature of preivious notice requirements.  As such, they preserve the rights of absentees, and can't be suspended, even by a unanimous vote (unless, perhaps, there were no absentees, but I won't venture out on that limb right now.)

As to who is eligible to make motions, only your bylaws would have that information.   In the rules of RONR, members vote.  Since your bylaws supersede those, then your bylaws will have to provide an answer.

Archived