The Official RONR Q & A Forums

addessing issue not covered by bylaws

Guest Guest

RONR (11th ed.), p. 467, ll. 33-35:  "...[normally] the executive board is empowered to accept resignations and fill vacancies between meetings of the society's assembly."  In my experience, it would be highly unusual for an officer to have to go to the assembly to have his or her resignation accepted; this is usually handled by the board.

p. 467 is the key:  whatever body is empowered "to appoint or elect persons to any office" has the authority to accept their resignations.

However what isn't quite clear is if one body, the general membership, say, does the (original) election, but another body, a board, say, is empowered in the bylaws to fill vacancies, which (or both?) can accept resignations.

However what isn't quite clear is if one body, the general membership, say, does the (original) election, but another body, a board, say, is empowered in the bylaws to fill vacancies, which (or both?) can accept resignations.

I'm going with "both." It seems clear to me from Transpower's citation that if the board is authorized to fill vacancies, it is also authorized to accept resignations which would create such vacancies. Unless the organization's rules grant the board exclusive authority in that regard, however, it would seem the society also retains that power - which may become relevant if, for instance, several board members resign at once and refuse to attend meetings so that their resignations can be accepted.

Archived