The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Unclear Motion

Guest Chris

Our governing body recently passed a motion that said "that the members of the board affirm X". It passed by about 2/3rds voting yes.

A day later I was looking at the motion and believe it to be unclear. Does it mean that all the members affirm X (which is technically not true)? Does it mean that in order to be a member of the board the person has to believe X? The intent of the motion was actually to say that the board affirmed X. However, I wonder if adding "the members" actually muddies up the motion. Does it? Should something official be done to clarify it? If so, what?

Our governing body recently passed a motion that said "that the members of the board affirm X". It passed by about 2/3rds voting yes.

A day later I was looking at the motion and believe it to be unclear. Does it mean that all the members affirm X (which is technically not true)? Does it mean that in order to be a member of the board the person has to believe X? The intent of the motion was actually to say that the board affirmed X. However, I wonder if adding "the members" actually muddies up the motion. Does it? Should something official be done to clarify it? If so, what?

Inclusion of the words "the members of" did muddy the waters if the intent was simply to refer to the board itself.

If you think that this may cause problems, you might want to offer a motion at your next meeting to amend this motion that was adopted by striking out the words "the members of". Look at Section 35 in RONR, 11th ed., for the rules governing the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted.

It certainly would have been better without "the members of".   I'm surprised that someone who intended to vote No didn't move to strike that.  But you can amend it after the fact, using the motion to Amend Something Previously Adopted. (§35)  Or if it's clear to everybody as is, just leave it alone.

Archived