The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Discussion

Guest Dale

In debate on a proposal needing 2/3s vote, is it proper to have each person desiring to join give their opinion as a part of the debate, state their name, state if they are for the proposal or against it and then they give their reasons? Also, should debate alternate between those who are for the proposal and then those who are opposed to the proposal?

In debate on a proposal needing 2/3s vote, is it proper to have each person desiring to join give their opinion as a part of the debate, state their name, state if they are for the proposal or against it and then they give their reasons?

Large assemblies often require that members first state their name and whether they wish to speak in favor of or against the motion (or have some other method of indicating the latter, such as separate microphones or colored cards).

Also, should debate alternate between those who are for the proposal and then those who are opposed to the proposal?

Yes, to the extent that this is possible.

is it proper to have each person desiring to join give their opinion as a part of the debate, state their name, state if they are for the proposal or against it and then they give their reasons?

What do you mean by 'each person desiring to join'?  For any rights at a meeting, you must be a member.  Non-members have no rights at all.  The assembly could, by a vote, allow to a non-member to enter into debate but a non-member cannot vote.

What do you mean by 'each person desiring to join'?  For any rights at a meeting, you must be a member.  Non-members have no rights at all.  The assembly could, by a vote, allow to a non-member to enter into debate but a non-member cannot vote.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the reference is to "joining the debate" (perhaps signing up in advance in some way, thus listing name, pro/con side, and summary of remarks).  I don't think it refers to joining the organization.

Archived