The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Fundamental Right of Member to Nominate

Guest Laurie Cohen

Guest Laurie Cohen

In my organization, our past practice has been to handle nomination and election of an officer as one motion without requesting or opening the floor for nominations ("I move to appoint ____ as our vice president").  In our recent election, the past practice was followed and the person who would traditionally have been in line to be the vice president was passed over for a more junior member.  There was no point of order raised to the nominating or election process and no motion to amend or to substitute.  The motion passed 3 to 2 and the junior member accepted the results of the election.  By omitting a formal nominating process, has the passed over senior member been deprived of a fundamental right to nominate?    

In my organization, our past practice has been to handle nomination and election of an officer as one motion without requesting or opening the floor for nominations ("I move to appoint ____ as our vice president").

Your past practice is incorrect and should be ceased immediately.

By omitting a formal nominating process, has the passed over senior member been deprived of a fundamental right to nominate?    

No. As you note, no one raised a Point of Order. You should still do it the right way next time.

Archived