The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president powers

Guest Rod

Not unless your rules gives your president the authority to do this.

It's best to think of the president as having responsibilities, rather than having power. Unfortunately, too many presidents don't look at it that way.

But you'll also want to look into whether the committee can determine the event, or merely recommend it.

. . . now the president/chairperson decided to cancel one on his own.

Instead of asking us, who don't know your rules, you might want to ask your president to show you where he gets the authority to do what he did.

there are no separate rules to the committee, we just go by Robert's rules. 3 separate events were voted on, and approved, now the president/chairperson decided to cancel one on his own.

Assuming that the committee is empowered to take action in the first place (which it is not, unless so authorized by the parent assembly or the organization's rules), no, the President cannot cancel such an event unilaterally unless your organization's rules grant him such authority.

there are no separate rules to the committee, we just go by Robert's rules. 3 separate events were voted on, and approved, now the president/chairperson decided to cancel one on his own.

Well let's back up a bit.  Where did the committee get the authority to approve events?  Normally, the committee would come back to its parent body with recommendations, and that body would decide by majority vote whether to hold the events, cancel them, revise them, etc.

RONR would not give the president any authority to cancel anything that was decided by the assembly.  There's no presidential veto power in RONR.

I am a newly appointed president and there is a situation I have I have a group of cordinators that want to dismiss a board voted coach however the facts do not support there decision at all and as President I would like it to not be a board vote just a decision made by me on the facts

I am a newly appointed president and there is a situation I have I have a group of cordinators that want to dismiss a board voted coach however the facts do not support there decision at all and as President I would like it to not be a board vote just a decision made by me on the facts

Too bad. If the board has the power to appoint the coach, then the board has the power to remove him, unless your bylaws provide otherwise.

For future reference, it's generally best to post a new question as a new topic, even if an existing topic seems similar.

One more time?

Archived